Followers

Monday, September 13, 2010

Organization in the Studio!!!!

Okay... one of the things that I pride myself on, is the organization of the studio... I have a lot of people in here using my toyz and stuff... and they need to find it easily... and be able to play without me telling them where it is and please put it back where you found it... so I am going to take some time over the next few months... and share with you some of the ways in which I organize some the more difficult things we play with...

The first one is the SPELLBINDERS!!!!  When I fist bought them, I only had a few... it was no big deal.. I kept them in the container that they came it... and when I used one,  I would pull of the container and take the one I wanted to use out, use it and then put it back in... well that was fine.. .but when you want to use three for one card... you are not going to do that three times... so something had to give... and I love my Spellbinders... so it wasn't going to be them...

So I wrote a friend and she told me what she had done... she told me where to go to buy the product I would need to complete the job, and that it wouldn't cost me over $10.00 to do the whole thing.. at that time I only had about 10 Spellbinders... so that was fine..

Okay.. I will not keep you in suspence any longer..

Here is what the finished project looks like..


In a space that is about 8 inches square, I have over 70 sets of Spellbinders all neatly organized.. and I still have room to spare on the side, where I could add more ... but I keep that area clear for my tan rubber sheet and the extra spacer plates... I use a Bit Shot for my Spellbinders... my Cuttlebug is for the folders... not for cutting.. sorry about that..

Anyway... That is what it looks like... now what are the special features????

I can find any template set really quickly... and have them all available in seconds.. and then they neatly go back into thier space... WOW... what a time saver...

More details... ??? YES..

This is what it looks like from the side... you can see that there are a lot there... and all standing up NEATLY....

I have dividers so I know where each set sort of is... and to flip thru a few is not a time waster... you might decide on something else...

Nothing is written in stone ... nothing at all.




So here you can see the dividers are just cardboard pieces that I have written words to help me find what I want... like shapes, accents, flowers, pendants, circles, ovals, octagons, Frames, borders, etc etc..
It doesn't matter how tall the set is... they are all standing up..  As you can see from the picture above ... the taller ones are fine..

I have the template ... Grand Lace... and I love it... but it certainly wouldn't fit into a CD plastic case... so then what do you do...have two or three different kinds of things to keep these in?? To confusing...

All of mine are here... all stored exactly the same way.. all on ONE place.. and all in my hands reach right next to my Big Shot!!!!

Now for the exciting part... each one is on a magnet!!!! So it holds each PIECE of the set in place... and you can easily take it off...

As you can see this is the pear set... and it fits nicely onto this piece ... some sets have more pieces, which is not a problem... they all fit onto a sheet.. with the exception of the scalloped hearts which I have on two sheets... not a big deal to me...

Okay... but then you don't know what the name of the set is etc...

Oh yes I do..

On the back of each magnet sheet I have the cover of the set taped onto it..

So that I not only know the number of the set... but also the number of pieces that are suppose to be in it, and all that good stuff..

Everything is right there...

Okay... now magnet sheets are costly... right???

WRONG...
Go to LOWE"S and go into the Heating and Air conditioning area.. and they have these sheets called VENT COVERS.... there are two in a package... (I am a little vauge about this... it has been a long time sinc I bought these... but you will get the idea... there might be three in a package... )  anyway... they are about 8 inches wide... perfect... and they are about
15 inches long... so you can get 6 magnets like I have here... if you wanted to cut longer ones you could... I just cut all mine the same size... and my longer ones stay on there fine... no problems... but it is quick and easy... The sheets are in a package... and they were about $4.00 and change... and that gave me enough for 12 sets... maybe more ( like I said, I am sorry I can't remember how many sheets are in a package)  I bought five packages at the time... and have to go back and get some more... so maybe there are more per package.. anyway... I hope you see how affordable this is... and also how easy it is to compile the sheets once they are all on the magnets...

I have mine in a wooden box, but a shoe box decorated is fine... or anything that will hold these ... a plastic box, what ever you have... It is really a fantastic idea... and I would like to THANK Cheryl Bennett for the idea and for helping me get mine together... she sent me pictures etc... just so I could see what she had done with her's... so be creative ... and add to this... or what ever.. but it is a nice easy, inexpensive way to store all your Spellbinders...

Thanks for stopping by... and please come back... hopefully tomorrow there will be some cards up... I have a few to share with you... Tomorrow is Tea Pot Tuesday Challenge... always a fun time.. and then there is Betty's Color challenge... and Midnight Madness Sketch... and on and on... lots of things to create... and fun to be had... hope that you will come back and see what I have been up to..

Love, Light and Peace... Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Bonnie
    Thank you so much for the tips on organization. I can use all the help I can get. Looking forward to more of your organization tips.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea Bonnie! I have my embossing folders in a system just like this stored in a plastic shoebox type container. I am getting ready to move my spellbinders off the door of my storage cabinet to the same type of system. Never knew I would "collect" so many!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete